۱۳۹۳ آذر ۱۲, چهارشنبه

Pure magic





I wrote this around 12 years ago when I was living in Kyrgyzstan.  I took the above picture on that day.  It is my wife, Sarah.

I am one of those who believe that real genius is in simplicity.  Surely many disagree and probably some who agree talk about exceptions, and even I might find myself in agreement with them.  However, the magical existence, which I saw and experienced in the mountains of Kyrgyzstan this morning, surely could not be separated from its simplicity.  Maybe it was so magical because it was so simple.  It was a simplicity, which does not reflect the mind of a simpleton but the simplicity, which only could emanate from the mind of a genius.

Still, how do I describe such a mesmerising beauty, when it is pictured so simple? How does one describe a scene where mountains, valleys, trees, bushes and whatever we call nature is covered or frozen under thick crystal snow?  Surely that is one of the most difficult things to do.  It might not be so difficult to describe the same scenery in spring or any other seasons as long as it is not wintry white, when all colours shower themselves simultaneously in a form of white.  That is partly because in other times, nature is filled with colour and these colours provide the main ingredients for descriptions of such beauties for a writer or a poet.  It is like a painter who has abundant access to colours for his painting so his artistic talent could express itself through the artistic and creative use of colours.  However, what happens to the same painter when he has access to just one and only one colour?

I am asking these questions so you might be able to imagine how frustrated I am for having on my palette only one colour to describe one of the most astonishing sceneries I have ever seen, that Mother Nature can ever present to us – and I have seen so many beauties. 

Maybe I should have been an Eskimo, since apparently they have around thirty eight different names for snow.  That knowledge to some extent would have made my job easy, or rather less difficult.  However, I wouldn’t want to be an Eskimo since I don’t know whether the same appreciation of beauty exists among them.  The severe life conditions and constant attempt for survival leaves little space for reflection and appreciation of beauty.  It is not accidental that civilizations did not develop in merciless environments. 
So I wish I had the snow knowledge of an Eskimo without being an Eskimo. 

Still, I had better stop wishing for something, which the present circumstances do not allow for, and make the best out of what I have.  And what I have is only one colour, and what makes this even more difficult is my dire need to describe the dream land, which I visited this morning, while being awake.  What I saw was like a dream woken up in magic and drowned in the myth of life.  How could it be possible for me to describe that? 

Some days after I went to an open gallery, filled with paintings in the celebration of the beauty of their land here.  I could see numerous paintings of the mountains, valleys, rivers, trees, and water falls.  However, all of them were of the colourful seasons from spring to autumn.   I just saw very few, which were the paintings of white winters, and none of them looked appealing.  It was obvious that the painters either did not see what I saw, or did an absolute injustice to the beauty.   Hopefully I am not an unjust man so I better stop writing about it.

هیچ نظری موجود نیست:

ارسال یک نظر